Friday, July 7, 2017

the monkey without a shadow

July 1: After the AmeriCorps closing ceremony, Nick and I went to the Diving Dog with Kassy, Rachael and their girlfriends. We were out late, drinking mango beer and it quickly devolved into six full-grown adults spending half an hour talking about farts.

July 2: Nick is giving Addie a bath. Every time she shakes the water off of her, I can hear Nick let out a heavy sigh and then say, “thanks”.

July 3: Duolingo had me practice “El mono sin sombra”. I now have no other choice but to write a noir novel and title it “The Monkey Without a Shadow”.

July 4: People have been setting off fireworks all week and in broad daylight, so the dogs have been on edge. We spent our Fourth of July inside to try to calm them. We had a Sharknado marathon and turned the volume on full blast in hopes it would drown out the explosions outside.

July 5: Edwin won a pair of plastic, green vampire teeth in the raffle drawing today. He spent all of snack yelling “breakdancing vampire” and trying his best to do windmills in the school cafeteria.

July 6: I taught my marine biology lesson about bioluminescence today. Pretty quickly after I broke out the highlighters and the black light, my students were growing neon-colored mustaches and glowing six pack abs.

July 7: I spent all day pretending to be impressed by every single jump, spin, and paddle my kids did at the lake. They wanted me to see every move they made and shouted my name over and over so that I would watch them. And I am realizing how my family spent my entire childhood just humoring me.




much love,
hedgie

No comments:

Post a Comment