Friday, August 31, 2018

random numbers

August 25: People have a lot of advice on how to see someone’s true nature. A lot of people point out how they treat servers or what they act like towards animals. The one she had always wished she learned sooner was how people react when you discover something that they have known for a long time. She remembered once telling someone about hearing Electric Light Orchestra for the first time and really enjoying them. The person scoffed at them and asked how she had never heard of them before. She felt suddenly ashamed over something she had no control over. She wasn’t able to listen to new music for years afterwards without feeling stupid and behind the times.

August 26: At three in the morning, George pooped on me. On me.

August 27: Johana’s method to doing her math homework is to shout random numbers at me and just hope I will stop her when she guesses the correct answer.
“Okay, what is thirteen minutes seven?”
“Ten.”
“No.”
“Nine?”
“You need to try counting.”
“Fourteen.”

August 28: We have a new student who is going to school for the very first time this year. So far this week, he has made four breaks for Precita Park, had kicked his daytime teacher, and bit Ana.

August 29: He immediately runs up to me to tell me that his dad is picking him up today. He was so excited and began listing all the things they were going to do together after school. I smile and nod at him, but I know what is really going to happen. When his grandma came in, all the energy and joy drained out of him. He silently grabbed his backpack and slung it over one shoulder and shuffled to the door, unable to muster enough strength to lift his feet or his head up. He pretends not to hear me when I say goodbye to him and remind him there’s no school on Monday. The students who do get picked up regularly by both parents take it for granted. When they see their mom, the first thing they do is request money for the ice cream guy who stands just outside the gate with his cart after day school lets out. Miss Ana always chides them for it. “What? No ‘Hi, mom’? No, ‘how was your day’? No, ‘I love you’?”

August 30: Rah decided that he can read palms. He went around the bungalow and told all the teachers their fortunes while we waited for his dad to pick him up. Maria is getting married in three weeks and will meet her husband next week. Miss Connie is going to win the lottery. Miss Vivi is going to star in a new Freaky Friday movie with Amy Poehler.

August 31: I taught my class “I’m Going Camping” today. Three of them cried.




much love,
hedgie

No comments:

Post a Comment