Tuesday, June 23, 2015

vignette review

I was recently published in the inaugural issue of The Vignette Review. It is an online literary review that seeks to publish brief, evocative moments in time told through the prism of fiction.

This is my vignette piece, Popcorn


"I stared at the frozen screen in the dark room without really seeing it. David had paused the show so he could go make some popcorn. The buttery smell drifted to my seat on the couch and I suddenly thought about Chris. I hadn’t thought about him in years, but suddenly his image came back clearly to me.
       He was my first boyfriend and he broke my heart. As much as a heart can be broken from an agonizing on-and-off relationship junior year of high school. Our first date had been at the movie theaters. I don’t even remember the movie.
       In the dark, he tore each piece of popcorn in half, handing me one part and waiting for me to place it in my mouth before he ate his. At the time, I thought it was romantic. Our fingertips brushing together with each and every kernel. The time and effort he was taking for me was intoxicating. It would be a story I could tell my children. The exact moment I knew I wanted to be with him. But at the same time, I knew how ridiculous it was. Popcorn was never meant to be eaten that way and soon his fingers were tired and my hands were buttery."

Read the rest of the story here.




much love,
hedgie

No comments:

Post a Comment