Friday, May 13, 2016

i don't think they thought this design through

Nick bought me a puzzle that has been plaguing me for years.

My family has owned this puzzle for as long as I can remember, but we were never able to complete it. Every time we got close to finishing, guests would come over and we would have to take the puzzle apart and put it away so that people could use the coffee table.

It's a black and white Alfred Hitchcock-themed jigsaw puzzle. There is no picture of the finished puzzle because the puzzle itself is a clue to a murder mystery written in an attached booklet.

Given all of this, it is an extremely frustrating puzzle to assemble. I got to say things like “I’m looking for a medium grey piece with blotches of slightly darker grey” and “I need to find piece that has a white rope that is barely visible on a white background”.

But there are small moments of joy due to the fact that I don't think whoever designed the puzzle really thought about what would happen when you print out the name Hitchcock multiple times on something that's going to be cut up into a lot of small pieces. I keep coming across pieces that simply say cock.


Even in a difficult and colorless world, there are still moments to laugh like a child.





much love,
hedgie

No comments:

Post a Comment