Friday, June 16, 2017

what the hula hooping hippos

June 10: I think I have been listening to Hamilton too much. Today, Nick and I drove past Alexander Avenue and my brain immediately began singing “Alexander Avenue. My name is Alexander Avenue, and there’s a million things I have to do. Just you wait, just you wait”.

June 11: The hills lumped around the freeway are back to being dried out and golden. It finally looks like California again.

June 12: Melissa came up with the idea of a reading contest where students can earn a fake piece of pie every time they read for 20-minutes straight during reading time. For every 10 slices they earn, they win a pie that they get to throw into a teacher’s face at the end of summer. My students are suddenly very literary.

June 13: My new Pin Up Girl clothes arrived and I love the way they make me feel. There are pants that make me feel like Rita Hayworth and a shirt that reminded me of Audrey Hepburn. Today, I wore the pants that made me think of Katharine Hepburn and my kids spent all day asking me why I was wearing pajama pants.

June 14: Juan’s reaction to anything that delights, confuses, or frustrates him is to yell “what the hell?” at the top of his lungs. I can hear him when he is out in the yard at recess and I am in my classroom setting up for the next lesson. Two students and I have been trying to come up with cleaner substitutes for him to yell. So far, the winner is ‘what the hula hooping hippos’.

June 15: “I have Boading Balls!”
“Whose balls?”

June 16: Of all the experiments and exhibits at the Exploratorium, Francisco’s favorite part was the water fountain shaped like a toilet. I almost could not tear him away from his “one last sip” so that we could make it to the bus on time.





much love,
hedgie

No comments:

Post a Comment