Friday, June 9, 2017

bringing jello shots to bingo

June 1: It is such a relief to have my own classroom again. I can finally put things up on the walls and rearrange furniture. I don’t have to carry heavy crates of my supplies up and down the stairs everyday. I don’t have to worry about a teacher getting upset with me and emailing me multiple times because first graders have trouble figuring out what goes into recycling and what doesn’t.

June 2: Five minutes into play centers, I look over and Francisco had rolled up to giant red balls of play dough and was going around the room, holding them up to his chest and pretending he had boobs.

June 3: Addie was sprawled out across the bed and was using Nick’s butt as a pillow. She started wagging her tail as I entered the room. I pulled my phone out of my back pocket and opened the camera to take a photo. As soon as she saw what I was doing, Addie immediately stopped wagging her tail and lay very still. When I lowered my phone, she began wagging her tail again. That dog definitely knows how to pose for photos.

June 4: Ryan and Dylan vote to wear dresses to my wedding. Ryan has been planning on that for months, ready to spend the entire day drinking and loudly wailing that he is always the bridesmaid and never the bride.

June 5: Sometimes it’s hard to tell what age Jen is. It’s like she flips from 17 and 80, nothing in between . When I asked her how her weekend was, she gave me a long and convoluted story about bringing Jell-o shots to Bingo.

June 6: Stephen was so taken by George, that every drawing he made that day was inspired by him. He gave me my favorite one, which depicted George as a person who was pretending to be George Washington. He named him George Washington George Person.

June 7: To my left, Mauricio and Wilfred were pretending to be babies, talking to each other in a series of “goo’s” and “gah’s” that only they seemed to understand. Angie tapped my arm from across the aisle and asked me if I believed that God would send people who had never heard of Jesus to hell. I told her that it really depended on what she really thought god was like. My school bus philosopher thought about it for a moment before deciding that what mattered most was being a good person.

June 8: Michael is pretty sure that his house is haunted. He told me that last year, he found what looked like blood all over the floors, but then he tasted it and realized it was red paint.
“Why would you eat it if you thought it was blood?”
“It wasn’t blood.”
“But you thought it was. Why would you eat blood?”
“I already told you it was paint!”

June 9: I’m always amazed by how folklore and urban legends adapt to modern times. Today, I was frantically informed by at least five kids that if you spun three fidget spinners at exactly three in the morning, Bloody Mary would call you on your cell phone and tell you that she would come for you in three days.



much love,
hedgie

No comments:

Post a Comment