Wednesday, February 7, 2018

explaining groundhog day to children

February 1: I told Dora it was time to read and she told me she couldn’t understand because she did not speak English. I told her again in Spanish, but this time she told me she only speaks Chinese.
“Than how are you speaking to me in English right now?”
“I don’t know what I’m saying.”

February 2: I tried to explain Groundhog Day to my kids. Nothing about it made any sense to them and I’m sure they went home to ask their parents how groundhogs can predict the weather.

February 3: Luli is a huge cheater. She would lean back in her chair until she passed out of Greg’s peripheral vision and mouth the words she wanted us to guess and would just shake her head if my finger started moving towards the wrong square.

February 4: Why is it always Shakespeare in post apocalyptic theater troupes? I’m waiting for a book or movie that follows the people who are responsible for keeping the works of The Three Stooges, Scooby Doo, or The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air alive.

February 5: Despite the fact that he always reeks of weed, Shanah’s older brother was hired by the OST program to work with children. He let us know that since he would be on campus when we closed, we would never have to worry about Shanah’s pick up again. Today, he went home without taking Shanah with him and I spent half an hour sitting with her after closing waiting for someone to be sent to pick her up. From across the street.

February 6: One hour of aiding for Ms. Alexander’s class involved a three-minute long video about Martin Luther King Jr., the students writing a single sentence about Mae Jemison that they started last week when I was with them, and forty-five minutes of coloring.

February 7: Last year in my health class, I taught my kids that the occipital lobe was a very fancy lobe, so when they said its name, they had to stick out their pinkies and say it in the highest-pitched voice they could manage. This morning, Maria came in and asked us if we had any idea how her kids already knew all about the brain and why they kept speaking in a weird British accent.



much love,
hedgie

No comments:

Post a Comment