Thursday, February 14, 2019

a shrieking fart noise

February 8: The heavy rain lately is forcing all the rats to move into the school. I saw one run across the stage during snack and Melissa saw another as they were setting up to the Streetside Stories showcase. I don’t think Teacher Patel is aware of how bad a rat problem this school has. It was one of his students’ birthday today and he left for the weekend without cleaning up much. He left about a dozen hot pink frosted cupcakes on his desk.

February 9: It was strange watching him dance. I had grown accustomed to watching his move smoothly and patiently around children. Here, he was jerking like a marrionette and rolling around on the ground. It was hard to see how they both could be the same person.

February 10: I can’t really decide how I felt about “Educated”. It made me so uncomfortable and it was unpleasant to read at many points. Most of the time, I didn’t know what to do with the information it gave me. I couldn’t stop thinking about it after I put it down and would often pick it back up and start reading it again. I don’t know how to give that kind of experience a star rating.

February 11: Parents are taking it very personally that my class is now on the third floor. They act like I purposefully chose this room just to annoy them for the two times a week they actually walk up the stairs to get their child.

February 12: Despite the daily Tootle time where my kids say something nice to each other every day, they really suck at compliments. When the Tootle person is someone they don’t like very much, they try to find ways to say something that sounds nice, but without any warmth. They will often go with “she is safe”. Today, we wrote kind words on the whiteboard behind each girl in Girl Power. Over Milo, someone had carefully printed out “she is not a brat”.

February 13: I got a volunteer today. Mr. Peter will be coming in every Wednesday from 3 to 5. Hopefully, he won’t scare as easily as the first volunteer I had when my kids were in second grade.

February 14: I put candy, Oreos, pencils, erasers, slime, and one of the squeaky pigs Waunt got me into my class’ Valentine’s Day goodie bags. It took them only about three minutes to figure out how to remove the squeaker from the pig and that they could blow through it and make a high-pitched for as long as their breath could hold out. Two minutes later, they discovered that if they squeezed the pig while it was encased in the slime, it would make a shrieking fart noise.




much love,
hedgie

No comments:

Post a Comment