Friday, February 22, 2019

Do you need help with Demon?

February 15: Milo just gave me the most wonderfully horrifying drawing today. It is me walking a hedgehog on a leash, but the hedgehog and I have had a face swap. In bold letters, she has given me the advice to “use my inner hedgehog”.

February 16: This place is fancy. I feel like I am being watched all the time. Not being watched, like the staff suspects I am going to steal somethings, but always looking for opportunities to see if I need something. It’s like going on vacation in a car dealership.

February 17: I’ve been here two days now and the only picture I have taken is of the headboard of the bed because it has reading lamps installed on both sides. It’s pretty amazing.

February 18: I overheard a conversation in the lobby. Two women were comparing cars.
“I know it’s huge, but I just love my Mercedes so much.”
“I used to feel that way, but the Audi just handles so well.”
“Yeah, that’s what I’ve heard.”
I have never felt so out of place so fast.

February 19: Demoan was having another bad day. He was screaming curse words in the class and stomping his foot on Mrs. Amy’s ankles. Ana texted Fernando, who was on response duty.
“Do you need help with Demon?”
We debated on whether she spelled it wrong on purpose or not.

February 20: Maria’s kids have started splitting up curse words, one saying the first half and another finishing it. Paolo with say “fu” and Anthony will complete it with “ck”. This way, none of them are directly responsible for cussing. 
“Whatever you do, don’t shush my class,” Maria warned us. Saying “shhhh” just results in them chorusing “it!”.

February 21: I taught my Eye Caramba class about rods and cones today. We went over how humans have three cones that allow them to see red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. We discussed how dogs only have two cones, which allow them to see yellow and blue. I showed them a color spectrum that shows what a rainbow looks like to us and how it would look to dogs. Then I told them about how the Mantis Shrimp has 16 cones and can see colors we cannot even begin to imagine. Edwin demanded that I show him a color spectrum for Mantis Shrimp and getting mad at me when I explain that it would just look like a normal rainbow to us because we don’t have the cones to see the colors they can see. He keeps getting upset that I won’t show him colors that we can’t see. I finally gave up trying to explain it to him and just googled heat vision photos to make him stop.

February 22: The fire alarm was pulled today and I ate my reheated pasta in the park while the entire school lined up in the grass. There had already been a fire drill that morning, so this was the second time the kids had done this. The school is supposed to have one fire drill a month, but the principal is trying to get rid of that since we have already done this ten times in seven months. The kids are so practiced that the school can be completely cleared out in under five minutes. Even after the fire fighters gave the all clear for us to return to the classrooms, the light warning kept flashing for a few hours. It came with an audible click that gave the impression that someone was taking regular pictures of us.




much love,
hedgie

No comments:

Post a Comment