Sunday, April 8, 2018

a taco a day

April 1: There were bright red sign evenly spaced out over the acres of farmland along the freeway. The first sign read “A Taco”. A few minutes later we passed “A Day”. Dead grass and a few lonely trees fell in between until we reached “Keeps The”. Doctor? Was that the new phrase? Tacos keep the doctor away? Then the answer was cleared up. “Hangry Away.”

April 2: The school now has a drum circle elective, which they have decided to locate ten feet outside of our door. It’s been going on for over two hours. I got a headache after ten minutes.

April 3: Miss Melissa had everyone sit in a circle on the rainbow rug and share what they did over spring break. Montse went first.
“I went to Vacaville and I died…” her voice trailed off. Melissa and her assistant traded confused looks until Montse finished her sentence. “Easter eggs.”

April 4: Serenity waited until the room was silent to announce to everyone that she thinks I’m really cute when I sleep. Everyone’s eyes darted towards me. I wasn’t sure what to do with this information. Serenity could tell something had passed between us all. “What? I meant it as a compliment,” she said.

April 5: Even after factoring in all the benefits I get from Nick’s insurance, my two pairs of glasses alone are costing me an entire week’s paycheck. How are teachers even still alive right now?

April 6: When it rains during school hours, the kids seem to accept they will lose out on morning and lunch recess. But by after-school, kids hold you personally responsible for the rain and will angrily bunch up their fists and glare at you when you tell them they are stuck inside.

April 7: Max and Jenny lost one of the twins. I wish I could do something more helpful than send them my love and condolences over text.

April 8: Charlize Theron had the shiniest legs I have ever seen in my life. It was hard to concentrate during her interview because my eyes continued to switch between being blinded by her shins and looking at the emotion on her face. But I did leave that night with one resounding memory, Charlize Theron reminding us all to “dream big, fuckers!”.





much love,
hedgie 


No comments:

Post a Comment