Thursday, November 9, 2017

hell has cell service

November 1: Everyone is still on edge today. Yesterday, a woman wandered to the school’s front gate, claiming that god had sent her here to rescue the children. She intercepted a woman who was picking up her niece early and tried to run off with the first grader.

November 2: María was sick today, so I taught her fall art elective class. Her first graders cry almost as much as my third graders do. Almost.

November  3: Nick and I drove through a car wash while playing “Car Wash” on Nick’s iPhone. We thought it was funny. Addie and George did not enjoy it as much.

November 4: We had breakfast with Nick’s paternal grandparents this morning. They kept going on about immigrants stealing jobs, so I excused myself to the bathroom. Their bathroom had personalized towels with matching bars of soap. Is that what rich people do? Monogram their soap?

November 5:
Me: I’m currently in a room full of people who watch Fox News. I’m in the Twilight Zone.
Dad: Still at the in-laws’?
Me: Where else could I be?
Dad: Hell?
Me: I really doubt hell has cell service.
November 6: Abel uses a strange mixture of letters and numbers when he writes. It’s like trying to read hieroglyphics when he writes his daily journal entry. It’s actually pretty amazing because he can actually read it and probably is the only one who can.

November 7: I hit my first NaNoWriMo word count today. 10,000 words, which means Nick and I went to the Silent Reading Party. We saw Daniel Handler again. We cannot shake that guy off.

November 8: Ms. Jay strummed her guitar and had the kids repeat after her as she sang. It was pretty straight forwards until she got to the free style part of the song and started complaining about how her birthday was yesterday and her grandson called her and talked to her for an hour without mentioning her birthday once. My 8-year-olds were not quite sure how to react to that.

November 9: The sun sets before 5:30 now. It is dark before program closes. It has been putting the kids in the mood to tell spooky stories. Jai’von tried to scare everyone by claiming he saw a little girl outside the window when he was going to the bathroom. It worked for awhile until I pointed out that we are in a school and seeing little girls is actually quite common





much love,
hedgie

No comments:

Post a Comment