Tuesday, October 31, 2017

whose grandmother was i smelling?

October 24: My students have come up with a lot of nicknames to refer to people in my dad’s class without having to actually learn their names. They call my dad KFC because they think he looks like Colonel Sanders. They favorite students to pick on are Harry Potter and Snorlax.

October 25: Jai'von has little control over his own butt. When all the other students manage to sit in a circle for community time, most kids have issues with staying at the edge of the circle and not creeping towards the center. Given just slowly leans forward until his forehead rests on the carpet, his butt up in the air and slowly swaying in circles.

October 26: We did the whisper challenge today and 90% of the sentences my kids wrote were about poop.

October 27: Flipping through the stained and dog-eared pages of Carter Beats the Devil, I found remnants of my life from the last time I read it. One item was a photo of dad, mom, Ryan, Dylan, and me standing in front of Buchanan Castle in Scotland. It was back before I had glasses and Dylan grew his hair out. Ryan had no tattoos and mom and dad looked so much younger.

October 28: I got a pixie cut today. My hair is so used to being weighed down by longer locks that it is defying gravity and refusing to lie flat. It sticks straight out like I have been struck through with lightning.

October 29: I have been banned from playing certain board games because I play with an objective that is different from what the rules state. My family stopped playing Masterpiece because I would only buy paintings I liked and then refuse to sell. In Kingdomino, I kept buying all the tracts of land that had a cryptozoological creature in it.

October 30: The kids have given me mixed reviews of my hair. A few of them told me it was weird, while more of them starting calling me Mr. Heather. Mostly, they are horrified because I told them that my hair just fell out over the weekend.

October 31: The Color Factory opened with a room that had a wall of strips and scratch and sniff stickers that went along with olfactory memories for each color. The yellow stripe had theater popcorn, a picnic on a sunny day, and grandmother’s perfume. As I knelled down to sniff the last one, I couldn’t help but wonder whose grandmother I was smelling.





much love,
hedgie

No comments:

Post a Comment